Traffic, by Tom Vanderbilt. For a popular quasi-science book, this was really, really well-researched. I highly recommend the footnotes and the sources cited therein. Oh, and the main text was good, too - nice balance of a broad overview of different problems and characteristics of traffic, with just enough detail in certain areas to allow you to dive in. It was useful to me that the author is a cyclist, since that gave him a special perspective. Oh, and hey, speaking of cyclists, can you say $20 a month tax credit for bike commuters? WOOOOOOOOO!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!! $700 billion bailout? TOTALLY WORTH IT.
Fight Club, by Chuck Palahniuk. Pretty funny in parts, actually. Unfortunately, I think having seen the movie kind of ruins a certain something about the novel, but still. Having said that, I do not think there is any part of me that understands the impulses driving the men in this book. It's presented, I think, as a kind of universal - or at least widely spread - impulse among men, but no. Just no. Where is the book about being a man for us big babies? Don't say The Ambassadors. Though actually, I think Lambert Strether, if properly motivated, would surprise a lot of people in fight club. (I should add I do understand the impulse to populate one's living space entirely with Ikea products.)
Fight Club, by Chuck Palahniuk. Pretty funny in parts, actually. Unfortunately, I think having seen the movie kind of ruins a certain something about the novel, but still. Having said that, I do not think there is any part of me that understands the impulses driving the men in this book. It's presented, I think, as a kind of universal - or at least widely spread - impulse among men, but no. Just no. Where is the book about being a man for us big babies? Don't say The Ambassadors. Though actually, I think Lambert Strether, if properly motivated, would surprise a lot of people in fight club. (I should add I do understand the impulse to populate one's living space entirely with Ikea products.)
No comments:
Post a Comment