An excerpt:
Oh, and I just found out the identity of another athletic diabetic in this city: none other than 315-pound Kendall Simmons, starting right guard for the Steelers, who was diagnosed with type 1 in 2003. Here's his story.WHEN Missy Foy, a professional ultra-distance runner, was told she had Type 1 diabetes 10 years ago, she “totally freaked out,” she said. She knew the perils of diabetes: possible blindness, kidney failure, nerve damage. And she worried that the diagnosis signaled the end of her athletic career.
“I cried for days,” said Ms. Foy, a doctoral candidate at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
Ms. Foy, 42, visited four endocrinologists before finding a doctor who helped her figure out how to balance her insulin levels while training. “Part of it was that they didn’t have any experience with it,” she said. “They thought it would be too difficult, too stressful, to balance insulin and the intensity of training.”
No more. Today athletes with Type 1 diabetes are blasting out of the starting gate in full force. Because of new technology, the emergence of companies that help them manage their illness, the rise of successful role models and sheer determination, they are running marathons, doing 100-mile bike rides, completing Ironmen — many with their doctor’s blessing.
3 comments:
Actually, this article left me wondering if endurance sports cause Type 1 diabetes. Anyway, according to the NYTimes standard, it's at least a Trend!
Well, if the fact that people who know each other put on weight at around the same time justifies the notion that obesity can be contagious, then apparently all distinction between causation and correlation has vanished. It's a brave new world out there!
Also, you've "completed a couple centuries" on your bike? Geezer.
What am I on? What am I on?? I'm on MY BIKE. For two centuries I've been on my bike. Beat that, Vinokourov.
Post a Comment