Tuesday, May 08, 2007

50 book challenge: #12, #13, #14 [SPOILERS].

#12: Fighting Techniques of the Ancient World (3,000 BC to 500 AD). Anglim et al. Somebody owes Thucydides some royalties, given the lengthy block quotes. Tedious.

#13: Fighting Techniques of the Medieval World. Bennett et al. Better than the first, which is not saying much. Absurd illustrations, which were usually captioned with "This 19th century illustration of Richard I at the battle of Acre is completely inaccurate in all relevant details, due to the anachronistic romanticism, but it may give you a rough idea of how exciting the battle must have been."

#14: Madame Bovary, Gustave Flaubert. Passionate woman sleeps with men not her dull husband; ignores child; goes into debt; offs herself by arsenic; husband dies; Berthe works in cotton mill; pharmacist Homais gets legion of honor. Possibly the most perfect novel ever written, and possibly my favorite.

3 comments:

◈lunaluna◈ said...

Very interesting blog!
Bye bye

Anonymous said...

Do you think that was sarcastic? But then, given the number of blogs out there devoted primarily to keeping family members updated on the blogger's fairly mundane doings, it can't be worth it to leave snarky messages on every one. But maybe I'm being too skeptical of the universal appeal of pictures of my baby.

Matt M. said...

I think blogger has a rotating feed called something like "blogs that have just updated in the last five minutes." Maybe that's how "canary" got here. Actually, I recommend checking out his/her blog, here.

QUESTO BLOG E' PER TUTTI QUELLI CHE COME ME AMANO I CANARINI!!!